how to change a flat tire

If you are driving and realize your car has a flat tire you can change it by yourself and it is not as hard as it looks.

First of all pull over, park safely as soon as possible and turn on your hazard lights.

Now follow the next steps:

  1. Find the spare tire that is usually located in the trunk with all the tools you are going to need: Carjack, lug wrench, spare tire, manual, flashlight (this is optional but recommended especially if it is night time).

  1. Take out the spare tire from the trunk and put it next to the flat tire. Check the spare tire, if it is full size it can replace any tire on the vehicle, but if it is small it only can replace a non driven tire. If your tire is small make sure the flat tire is not where the traction is. For example if the flat tire is at the back of your vehicle and the vehicle has RWD you will have to take a wheel from the front and replace the flat tire with it and then use the spare tire for the front place.

  1. Apply the parking brake

  1. Remove the hubcap or wheel cover. Use the flat end of your lug wrench to do it.

  1. Loosen the lug nuts (counterclockwise) but don't remove them completely yet.

  1. Place the jack under the vehicle, under a solid spot, it is called jack point and you can find it on the "owner manual". Slowly raise the vehicle and make sure the jack doesn't begin to tilt. If it does start over. Raise the vehicle until the flat tire is about six inches above the ground.

  1. Now it is time to remove the lug nuts completely.

  1. Remove the flat tire and replace it with the spare tire. Push until the lug bolts show throughout the rim.

  1. Tighten the lug nuts by hand, lower the vehicle completely and tighten the lug nuts completely with the wrench as tight as possible.

  1. Put everything in the trunk and check the pressure of the spare tire

  1. Spare tires are not made to drive long distances or for high speed so make sure to replace it with a regular tire as soon as possible.

If you don't have the tools you need just call roadside assistance.